Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Classic and Refined

That's what the furniture company calls this collection..."Classy, refined and comfortable. That's the style. Offers detailed stitching and extra deep seating. Whether you've had a hard day on the range or in the office..." I'm not usually such a cleche person with these sort of things, but because it seems to fit the bill of our home and family so much, I would have to agree.
Remember the creamy white sectional we ordered last year? The one I just got designing around in our family room? Well, it's heading down the road. Not that I don't love the look of the creamy white and the sectional with the large ottoman gave us such ample lounging space, but I am going to go against the grain and state that "I do not love slipcovers"...They are such a chore to keep clean. Oh yes, I hear the "their so simple, you just remove and launder"...but I am tired of laundering them so often and if you don't, they just start to look dingy and dirty. Especially when you have 2 dogs and a toddler that will have some remaining chocolate cookie on her hand and voila!...it's dirty again. First I'd have to admit that removing and putting slips on and off is not a 5 minute thing. Either is the laundering, because you never want to fully dry them or they may shrink or change shape.  I'm too neurotic or just plain lazy, but this sofa has been the worst upkeep I've ever had on any of our furniture. But most of all, I'd like to point out that since I got the slipcovered sofa, when people enter my home and sit down, they all have this "am I going to ruin it" look on their face...not the atmosphere I want my home to have.  I am NOT against white however, I still love our creamy kitchen cabinets and snuggle in oh so lovely in our white duvet and bedding. But, onto leather it is...





I searched high and low for the sofa I wanted (since Restoration Hardware's $4,000 pricetag for my ultimate dream chesterfield was out of the question) and finally concluded with this one. I love the brown leather tone, the stitching and it's oh so comfortable. Yes, it is real leather, but it has a coating on it you can't see or feel, that protects the leather from stains and your body oils that may discolor. We in fact know someone who has had this exact sofa for going on 6 years now, and it has held up beautifully.  I wanted something classic, that would go with us through the years...and my different design tastes.  And no we didn't get the complete set (a designer's nightmare if you want character), just the sofa and recliner for dear hubby and to make a great reading nook. The remainder of the seating will be brought in using different pieces and fabrics.


I can't wait to redesign the family room...ONCE AGAIN...this time with more of a classic, library feel...ultimately fit for this family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Your Comments!